Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The New Normal

Before I became a mom one of my colleagues said "once you're used to something, it'll change. Or something else will come up. Nothing will remain the same for more than a few weeks." This has proven so true in the last few weeks.

Léo has always been a sleepy head. When he was born he spent about 20 hours per day sleeping. He could take 4 or even 5-hour naps during the day. As recently as a few weeks ago, he was only awake for about 6 hours per day (he took a 3-hour nap in the morning, followed by roughly 2 2-hour naps in the afternoon). That little boy could pack on the zzzzzs. That has dramatically changed lately because of his new schedule at day care. He still takes a long nap in the morning, but his afternoon naps are all over the place. He usually only takes one nap, lasting from 1 to 2 hours max. That means that he's a tiiiired little boy in the evening. He's a bit fussy, a bit less smiling, doesn't look at us because he's too exhausted for stimulation, and needs to go to bed between 6:30 and 7:30.

That's our new normal. I barely see him now -the 40 minute commute each way doesn't count as we can't really interact. When we get home at 6, I nurse him and then Joe and I have anywhere from no time to 30 minutes before we start his night time routine. I'm not sure I like this new normal yet. I know it's what all working moms go through. I will adapt. So will he.


Sorry this blog has taken on a very complain-y tone lately. This is part of the adaptation. I promise to be more cheerful soon!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Yeah it sucks when they go to bed right after you get home. :( At least it's only 3 nights a week like this right? Still sad not to see much of your baby those days. Hopefully the napping @ daycare improves as he gets more used to it.