Sunday, August 7, 2011

New Eyes (for East Africa)

Never before had images of starving kids impacted me as much as they do now. Of course now I see with a mother's eyes. What is happening in the Horn of Africa is terrible. More than 30,000 children under 5 may have died. I never know what to do to help when something like this happens -coming from someone who works in development, this might sound strange, but true. Fortunately, Sarah -who is a friend and colleague- wants to do something and will tell us about her plans soon. I will share them here. Babies dying are always tragic, but it's worse when the cause of death can and should be prevented. Seeing images of mothers bringing their dying children to feeding centers is unbearable. I know it's hard to choose which issue to focus on when there is so much injustice in the world. I don't expect everybody to be interested in the famine in Africa. But right now, this is one issue I want to focus on because, as selfish as it sounds, I can relate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know. I feel the same way. It's heartbreaking. I can't imagine having to go through what thousands of mothers are going through right now in having to choose life for themselves or for their children, or watching your child slowly die, knowing that it could so easily be prevented, yet there is nothing you can do about it. I feel so helpless - even with donating. I wish I could do more.