Thursday, June 23, 2011

Miracle!!!

This morning a post-partum doula came over to help me put Léo in his bedroom for naps and to talk about his sleep schedule. (If you need a post-partum doula and live where I do, let me know. Marianne is awesome!). I am still unclear about what schedule he should have (I'll touch on that in just a bit) but from the first try he slept in his swing, swaddled, in his bedroom, and didn't even cry. He slept for 90 minutes straight. Steuh-raight, people! That was amazing. He even took a bottle when he woke up -which he refused to do lately- because she showed me the right way to do it. She only stayed two hours and said the transition from the co-sleeper to his room should be easy because he's pretty mellow. That was great. I put him in the swing alone for nap #2 and he cried just a bit before settling in -he woke up because the dogs barked, but he was on his way to another good nap. This new habit will allow me to relax my arms, make breakfast, take a shower, and know that Léo is sleeping well.

Now we still have to tackle his night time schedule (he woke up every 2 hours last night and I am exhausted). I am SO relieved this transition to his bedroom was easy for him -and for me! It's only day 1 and maybe tomorrow he'll resist the idea all together, but today was good, and as my great friend Jen says, it's one day at a time.

Moms, I have a question for you. At about 3 months old, were your babies already napping only 3 times per day? Léo can't seem to stay awake for more than an hour at a time, so he takes 4/5 naps a day. My OB said he should transition to 3 naps but the doula said that 4 or 5 was perfectly fine. Do you remember what your babies used to do?

Oh, she also said that his eyes might remain blue. Oh, the dream!!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Yes!!!!! Way to go! Good job momma!!

At three months Oliver did zero naps, but he was doing three a day by 5 months old: 9am, 11:30, and 3.

Heather said...

Great job Leo and Johanna! I cannot believe the amount of sleep deprivation you're experiencing. Please hang in there and know that we're rooting for you and for Leo to sleep longer! It will get better and soon you'll forget the first months' struggle. Every friend I have with babies says the first five months are so, so hard. Lucky us that we brought Isla home at 8 months! Lol xxoo

Anonymous said...

Yay! 90 minutes? That is amazing. LA wasn't doing that until she was was maybe 6 months or so!

I honestly don't remember when LA started taking predictable, routine naps during the day, but it certainly wasn't at 3 months. She wasn't a good napper until almost 1-yr, but she made up for it with long nights, so I didn't mind. That's awesome that you found a great post-partum doula. I love doulas. :-)