Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Message to my Hormones

Chill the eff out!

Crying in front of HGTV when some chump proposes to his girlfriend is ok because I'm home and no one is there to witness the incident but crying at work is not fine. At all. Tuesdays we have devotions at work, and today's theme was AIDS -World AIDS Day is tomorrow. My friend Melanie did an awesome job talking about AIDS projects our organization is funding and about the 2015 Millennium goals. She talked about how infected mothers can, if they take ARVs, deliver healthy babies. She talked about children whose parents have AIDS and about moms who have healthy children but who worry about their kids. And that did it: I thought about how I worry for my baby -am I eating the right thing? Is he going to be all right?- while knowing that I'm healthy. I cannot start to imagine what sick moms must feel about their unborn babies and about the lives that their children will have. Oh man... It's amazing how when you have a child everything that may harm children -from illnesses to child abuse- takes on a very personal face: your child's. So that did it. I cried for a good 10 minutes.

Next time I go to devos -and next time I watch Oprah, and er, pretty much at all times- I'll bring a kleenex or two.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were moved by it, My Friend (even it was only the hormones). I surprised myself by choking up and i don't have the preggers excuse. It is so sad to think of what so many children (and mothers) go through in this world sometimes. But you are doing something about it, in so many different ways. xo