Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Change

Post in which I sound even more spoiled and whiny than usual.

This moving experiment has taught me a few things. The main thing is this: I do not like change when it comes to the place I live. I can handle and welcome any other changes in my life, but where I spend my down time is not something to be taken lightly. I have been thinking about our former apartment building a little too much in the past few days and I do miss it. Yes, the apartment was small and probably over-priced. Still, we had all the amenities we wanted and the comfort of being taken care of by the building people. I had created a routine for myself when I worked from home. I didn't work from home because the dogs are too demanding but I worked from the community room (and I could watch the soccer games from the TV there). Now I have to create a new routine, and, as I said... I do not quite like it. As much as I want to believe that I'd be fine in any environment, I am not. As a child I could never sleep at a friend's house because I needed my bed. Yeah... that should have told me something! Even now, I can only stand to sleep at someone else's place when it's only for a day or two. After that I mentally freak out and want to go home.

This inability to adapt to change in my living conditions is what made me really dislike my time in Bukavu. And that makes me think that maybe I should revise my career and work with kids locally. Because as much as I would like to be seconded somewhere (and I now have to really seriously think about one opportunity with work), I now know I might be miserable and only count the days until I am home again.

Now I am counting the days until Joe comes home and we make this place our home. Hopefully this will happen soon. I don't like not feeling at home in my own home.


Evening update: well, today was a good day actually! It started by a bootcamp session at 6 (more on that later), then the dog park, then work. I actually felt good in the house. I talked a bit more to my downstairs neighbor, Megan. She's the nicest person! She and her husband are from Dallas and will stay in Seattle for a year. They miss their community and want to make friends. I hope we'll hang out often. So right there, in my house, are great potential friends. It's all going to be all right. This feels good.

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Wow friend, I feel like I wrote this! I am very very similar, and also didn't love sleeping in friend's beds as a child...I am such a creature of routine and don't mind change, except when it affects my home. So, I feel for you! I'm always amazed by how malleable we are as humans, and how easy it is for us to create new routines and "norms". I totally understand if you feel like you're going nuts now, but at the risk of sounding cliche, it will get better!

Can you share more about this secondment opportunity? Sounds exciting!

Fab said...

I'm happy to hear that you are full of new possibilities today!!

Jen said...

Yes, do share! ???

I hope it will feel more like home once you get used to it, once Joe's home and you create a new routine. Home is supposed to be our shelter and safe spot so I can totally understand why it is hard to be in unfamiliar territory. Me, I just want to move!!!