Thursday, March 14, 2013

Tough stuff

Today I read 5-6 proposals for new projects. One of them, in Uganda, deals with child sacrifice. I couldn't finish reading the issue part -it was too difficult. And then a documentary on feminicide was shown during lunchtime. In the first couple minutes of the film, one mom in India says that she has killed 8 of her children -all daughters- and goes on describing how she killed them.

Everyday I am so thankful to work in the sector of child protection. Today I am grateful -and wary. It feels like caring for children in adversity is both a huge blessing and a bit of a curse. Reading and seeing all those issues was just... so difficult. I debriefed a bit with friends but it still weighs heavily on my mind.

It is such a privilege to be working in this field and to see the impact that the projects we are funding have on children. We're not changing all harmful practices, but we're changing some. Children are advocating for themselves and impacting their communities. And the tide is changing. Slowly but surely it is changing.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Heartbreaking. I think being a mom makes reading/hearing of these issues about a thousand times more disturbing.

Keep up the important work friend.