Sunday, January 2, 2011

To move or not to move?

Joe and I are wondering whether we should move or not. Our current lease ends at the end of June, but we emailed the landlord, who said that because our reason to move was good (baby!) we could leave before June if we found another tenant.

We mainly like this place because:
- it is big -about 1,200 square feet. We can have our bedroom, a room for the baby, and a guest room for the many guests who will come this summer.
- there is ton of storage space.
- the rent is high but less expensive than some smaller apartments in the city. We could save money for a downpayment on a house once Joe is done with school -that is, if we move back to OC then.
- the area we live in is really nice, close to parks and my church, and diverse. It's not at thclose to restaurants (Joe doesn't like that but I do because we would spend a looot of money eating out otherwise).
- this is lazy-me part 104, but I like the idea of not moving again.

However:
- it's a little old which makes me worry about lead and mold. Plus I like modern over old/traditional.
- it's not quite updated. For instance, the insulation in the living room is pretty poor and we have to turn the heater on all the time because I'm always cold.
- the tiles in the living room are orange. Er...
- it has a lot of stairs/steps. That's not an issue, but I wonder how I'm going to like having to go up a flight of stairs to get to my door and another flight of stairs to get to the living room when I'm hauling the baby/car seat/diaper bag this spring.
- it requires a lot of cleaning, mainly because we are not really good with dog hair and because somehow the more space we have, the messier we get.

If we stayed, we'd have to put curtains pretty much on all windows to keep the cold out during the winter, put rugs in the living room because I'm fed up with orange, and I'd have to have a really intensive cleaning schedule (or, ahem, hire someone to clean for me. Whaaa?). We're still debating. I'll let you know what we decide soon.

2 comments:

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fab said...

That is a tough decision to make, for sure. Hmmmm...