Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Cinder and Ashes!

Leo has been changing so much lately. It's quite amazing. He's putting two words together -"Eelo tootoo" when he wants to take the train, play with trains, or watch himself in a video we have on the IPhone where he's on the train. He says "mama um" when he wants to be picked up. Most of the time we still communicate as if we were speaking different languages, through pointing and naming. His vocabulary is half words, half sounds. He understands both English and French but only speaks English. He sings constantly. He dances, too. He is really able to express his feelings and desires. It's really neat to see him grow and to see his brain develop. It can be frustrating, too, because he is quite stubborn -but I love that he feels safe enough to say no. And boy, he says no a lot (actually he says "non.")

He's also in a major sleep regression phase that started right around the time we switched our clocks back. He now refuses to go to bed alone most nights, wakes up for 1-3 hours every night, and usually wakes up super early in the morning. And now he can climb out of his bed -so I can let him cry it out all I want but after 5 minutes he'll be out, open his door and play in the living room (like he did this morning) or he'll fall hard on his head (like he did tonight. Ouch). It's time for a toddler bed and it scares me -because now he's really going to be able to get up all the time. I thought sleep issues were over. Wrong! Today I was such a zombie. I was unable to have an intelligent conversation with anyone and had to look for my words all the time. I hope this phase / regression passes soon because my patience is super stretched, I must admit. Going to bed knowing you will be up in the middle of the night is not fun. Waking up with your heart beating fast because you thought you heard your baby cry (dread!) and either not being able to fall back asleep or indeed having to get up to put him back to bed... not optimal.

Apart from this sleep issue... all is well! I'm on a new diet (Weight Watchers) and will receive the 30-Day Shred DVD tomorrow. I'm excited to finally be careful about what I eat and drink and see results. Yay! Work is super busy but mostly excellent. And we have bitter sweet plans that should pan out in the next few months. Life is good!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Ahh, let's encourage each other with the 30 Day Shred! 1.5 years ago I was doing it 4-5 times a week and it was AWESOME! I need to get back on track! My jeans are soooo tight after two vacations and Thanksgiving! Yuck! p.s. her Ripped in 30 is also good, but she scares me a bit. :-)

Good luck with Leo's sleeping! I'm so sorry. Even at 3, Oliver will have really odd regressions too. After Hawaii he didn't want to go to sleep alone, then he was waking up wanting to talk or come to our room at 3am! Ugh. Let me know what you do with the toddler bed. Can you believe O is still in his crib?! He LOVES his crib and doesn't climb out, so I'm keeping him in as long as possible!

Anonymous said...

Eeeeeeeee. Losing sleep is not easy, especially when you're used to getting good sleep! I wonder what is causing him to wake up at 1am every morning...? Well, whatever it is, I hope he decides soon that it's not as fun as he thought and goes back to his sleeping through the night pattern. I also can't believe he's already climbing out of his crib! The crib to toddler bed was quite the transition for us. Keep us posted on what you guys decide to do. We're hoping S stays in the crib for a really long time!

Awesome that you're starting 30-day! Good for you! (Hopefully you'll be getting good sleep soon so you have the energy to do it. That woman is hard-core.) Between being sick and going on vacation I haven't been to the gym in a couple weeks. Ugh. I need to get back on that train.

Jen said...

It is amazing to watch how much their little brains are absorbing huh? I love that Leo loves to sing and dance. And clearly he is an athletic boy b/c it takes some skill for a, ahem, baby (baby 'til 2 years, in my book!) to do that. Seriously! At least you can be proud of him in the midst of your sleep deprivation. I will really start praying that he gets back in his sleep groove, for your sanity. :) Let me know how the 30 day shred is. I've heard she is hard-core but it really works!