Tuesday, November 20, 2012

A Hard Day

Today was one of those days filled with first world problems -I say that because finally I read about Gaza and Goma in depth tonight and I know my day is awesome in comparison to any person living in these two places -and many more, actually.

This morning I dropped of Léo at daycare. He was sick yesterday and probably a bit sick still today but I dropped him off anyway because both Joe and I needed to be at work. He cried big tears when I left and ran after me saying "mama, mama." I felt pretty guilty about that -and it wasn't even 8AM. Then I just couldn't focus at work -and I had 5 meetings total, including one where I had to lead and show my A game. That didn't happen and I felt pretty defeated. I couldn't read the news, couldn't read reports, couldn't-couldn't-couldn't. Then tonight Léo was in a super tough mood all evening long and refused to go to bed until 845. He tantrumed, screamed, and cried for a good hour before I finally put him in his crib and left the room for 10 minutes. He was calmer when I picked him back up and agreed to drink his milk. He fell asleep fairly quickly and I just cuddled with him for 10 more minutes because I need to hug my baby, damnit. That extra time cuddling his sleepy and warm body made the world right again.

So rough day at home, rough day at work. I am so thankful for the upcoming 4-day weekend -and many more things, like, oh, living in a country that doesn't know war within its borders and not having to wonder whether the next bomb I hear is going to kill my baby. Reading the news tonight definitely put things in perspective!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

I'm sorry momma. I hate those kind of days. Sometimes I just start crying and telling Tony that I feel like I'm doing a mediocre job with everything vs. a good job on just one thing! You're such a good mom and Leo knows how much he's loved!

I hope that defeated feeling will pass and you'll have a restful weekend with your cute little family.

And I agree - I can't stop reading about Gaza, and it does help put things in perspective!

Jen said...

Ugh, so sorry friend, I just read this. I know how hard it is to leave your sick little boy and to feel like you can't focus at work. You are doing the best damn job you can. And you are such a good mom and passionate worker. Thanks for being real. And Happy belated Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Sorry you were having a rough day last week. They are never fun to go through, but there's nothing like a little cuddling time to make it all go away. I find it's best to stay away from the news on days like that! Hugs.