Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Working can be so bittersweet

Jude's daycare posts pictures on Instagram pretty much everyday, so I can see what he's up to. Look at that: he can sit on his own!


Why don't I know that? Because in the morning I see him for about an hour while we all run trying to get ready and at night I see him for about 30-45 minutes before he falls asleep and I tend to carry him.

And look at today's picture:


He's ok sleeping with a sleep sack! At home I still double swaddle him but the amazing ladies at daycare have helped with the transition to the sleep sack -just as they helped with the transition from an inclined bed (rock and play) to a flat crib. I love that about daycare: they help you with this type of transitions. In Jude's case, they really help with everything! Today Joe forgot Jude's bottles so I dropped them off and when I got there Jude was sitting up and crying because one of the caregivers was holding another baby. My little man was jealous. He started laughing when she came close to him. And then he cried again when she wasn't looking at him, and smiled when she gave him attention, and cried again when she looked at someone else, etc. What?? It was so great to see how much he loved his caregivers, but a bit bittersweet because I am missing so much -from his progress to his personality.

When Léo was Jude's age we had a nanny at the house 2 days a week. I feel I saw him grow until he went to daycare full time at 1 -I didn't feel I missed much. Not so with Jude. I love working. I love my work. And I love my paycheck. But sometimes that comes at a price. And right now I have a bit of a hard time with that.

No comments: