Sunday, June 2, 2013

Aaah Seattle...

So we've moved. Tomorrow Joe is going to work and I'm be working from home. Leo is staying with a nanny in the morning and his grandma in the afternoon after his nap. Our new life begins yet it feels like we're on vacation -I have worked from here before. I guess it'll sink in that we're not moving back when we have our apartment in 2 weeks. Right now we're having a fun time with family and enjoying the sunshine.

Seattle has been so good to us. We have lived there for 7 years. It's funny how my life has 7 year cycles. My happiest years were when I was 16, 23, and 30. And now this. How neat.

Without further ado, here is what I will not miss:
- The rain (but I will miss the city's beautiful summers)
- Having to take a plane to see any family member
- Rental prices -so high!
- People driving 60 MPH on the left lane of the freeway
- Have I mentioned the rain?

Here is what I will miss dearly:
- My friends. Oh how I will miss my soul sisters at work. Seeing them daily at work and sometimes outside of work has been such a blessing. I felt loved and accepted and cared for around these girls and I love them so so much. I will miss Starbucks runs, chatting about nothing and very important topics, running errands in the middle of the day, and simply sharing life with them on a daily basis. I am so thankful for Skype and FB but I will miss hugging these girls tight. I will also miss my friends outside of work, mainly the Estevenins, who are one of our closest friends (their son is Leo's age and those 2 love each other), but also other friends from our 7 years there -some I haven't seen in years but that are still very dear to my heart.
- The library. I actually cried a bit while driving in front of the library on my last day. The Seattle Public Library has so many books and holding resource is so easy. Loved my intellectual city -along with that, I will miss the fact that Seattle has a lot of immigrants from all over the world and is really liberal.
- My church. So ok I haven't been to church in over a year (WHAT!) but I loved this church. The music was divine (Gospel. Not boring at all) and the main theme was social justice. People were liberal and accepting. Loved this little Madrona community.
- Living downtown. So easy to go anywhere. No need for a car. We could walk, bus, or take the monorail everywhere. That I will miss so much.
- Restaurants that are not chain. Great great food!

Let's see what San Diego -or our little suburban bubble in Encinitas- has to offer!

No comments: