Thursday, May 24, 2012

Fast and Slow

I haven't written much these past few weeks. A lot has happened and I felt like I didn't have time to catch my breath, sit down, and write, and then nothing happened and I had nothing to report.

The fast and furious version of events: I interviewed for a job within my organization and got it within 10 days. Yay! It's a really, REALLY awesome job, focused on child protection and education. I am so happy to be in this new role. (That means we're not moving back to Southern Cal for a bit, but that's totally fine with me. God has such timing!). The week after, I flew to DC for handover meetings with my team and at the end of that same week Joe, Léo, and I flew to San Diego to spend a couple of days there. Then we took a train to Orange County and spent a few days with the family. Now I'm planning trips for work: Cambodia in June (Hellz. Yes!), Wisconsin (of all places) in July, and maybe New York in August after our family cruise to Alaska.
Pfiew.

Since then I have started my new job and am just learning more about child protection and some of the projects my organization funds. I hang out a bit with my dear friends at work. And life is slow again. Léo has been UBER-cranky for the past 5-6 weeks and hasn't slept well at all. He cut his toe last weekend and the day after fell at daycare and cut his tongue and his gum -two bloody boo-boos in 2 days. I have seen quite a bit of blood in my life, but I'm a major wuss when I comes to seeing my baby bleed. Today he fell again and his gum bled all over again. He didn't mind too much. The good news is that when I picked him up for daycare he was in a really good mood. Finally my baby is back! We went to Old Navy (I am such a high roller) and I chased him all over the store. He thought it was hilarious and frankly so did I. He was in a good mood until he went to bed -and hopefully the night won't be too bad. He says the same words as a few weeks ago (doggie, dada). One of his friends at day care if only 2 months older than Léo and she is verbal. She saw me today and said "Léo!" And because they have an hour of Japanese immersion per day, she knows "nose" and "ear" in Japanese. I am good at not comparing, though. Kinda.

Actually that reminds me that for a year I have wanted Léo to have an opinion and understand us and now that he does I sometimes wish he were a little blob again because man, he is opinionated indeed. I'm sure it'll be the same with words. Right now I can't wait until he talks but maybe I'll want him to be quiet-please-just-for-a-second when he keeps on rambling and asking questions!

I am really enjoying time with family right now. I love, LOVE weekends. And this week we have a 3-day weekend. I can't wait!

2 comments:

Journey of the domestic life said...

I love baby gibberish...I just really wish I knew what they (think)they're saying!C

Anonymous said...

Congrats again on the new job. I'm so proud of you and am excited to see the opportunities that this job will open up for you.

It's also fun hearing about how Leo is growing in stature and character. :-) It's so easy to get sucked in to the comparison game as a Mom, but don't! Or at least try to resist it as much as possible (easier said than done, I know). But seriously, all kids develop at different stages. Like you said, before you know it you'll be wishing you had a moment of silence out of him. ;-)