Thursday, March 8, 2012

Return!

I imagined my return to be quite triumphal, with Leo grinning and being SO happy to see me (kind of a slow motion movie thing). Of course it didn't happen that way. I got home by 7. Leo spent the day with his nanny share friend at her house and they were not back yet so I had a little time to settle in. When they arrived at 730, Jessica took him out of the ergo but Leo just stared at me. No smile, no hugs, nothing. I held him but all he did was look at my pendant, look at Jessica and smile at her, then look again at my pendant. He didn't look at me. AT ALL. I just let him be for a while. I fed him and gave him a bath. Joe was at a work event, so we waited for him to come home before bed time. Leo and I played a bit. I felt I needed to give him space and get re-acquainted. Then he just crawled to me and put his head on my lap. And he stayed there for a while. The same thing is happening today. We play, I tickle him and he laughs a bit, but he still needs his space. And then he comes to me and gives me a minute-long, silent hug.

My little boy... I missed him so much! I am thankful to be able to spend the day with him before going back to work. It is good to show him that I am not leaving again and if I am, it's only for a few hours. It's also so good to see him healthy! It's been a while (he goes back to day care next week, so we'll see what that brings).

And of course it was good to see Joe again! He really loved spending time with Leo. He took care of Leo when both of them were sick. He showed such selflessness and love. I am grateful for him beyond words!

Home sweet home.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Oh, so glad you're back! I wonder if Leo was just being cautious, like, 'you're not gonna leave me again are you?', or maybe he just doesn't have the same concept of time so it was like, 'Oh, hai. Moving on...' :) Seriously though, it warms my heart to think of you guys snuggling, I'm sure you missed him more than I know. See you Weds!!

Anonymous said...

That's so funny. Lydia did the same thing to me when I came back from my first work trip (she was 10 months). Like, "oh yeah, I remember you. You've just been hiding in the bathroom this entire time, right?" But I was happy, so that was all that mattered. :-)
So glad you had a great time, but even "gladder" that you're back.