Sunday, March 13, 2011

40 days of Lent

Lent started on March 9th. I thought it was good that it started right after International Women's Day because I remember that last year the Deacon at my church drew a parallel between the number 40, which appears in the Bible every time something is created (land for Moses, strength for Jesus), and the number of weeks it takes for a child to develop. The Deacon said that the Bible was very feminine. And so the 40 days of Lent start and with that thoughts of women all over the world and of the beauty women create -children of course but also love, compassion, art, etc. Of course March 9th was special to me because it corresponded to exactly 40 days before my due date. My own little Lent!

I won't give up much this year. Heck, I've been through 9 months of giving up alcohol! I have decided to be more patient, though. Every morning without fail I get really angry at self righteous butt holes who drive 59 mph on the left lane of the freeway and slow traffic down for everybody. I have to be more patient in general. With work, with Joe (poor Joe! My 3rd trimester moods have hit him hard), with drivers, with the baby (if he's late).

At church on Wednesday, we all got to make a cross on our neighbor's forehead with ashes and we said "repent and follow the Gospel." I think I'll try to do just that: be humble and show more love to others than I usually do. That's a pretty hefty goal, but it's a positive and beautiful one.

Happy Lenten season, everyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The parallels of the 40 days is really cool. I didn't realize that! I think that is a great Lent goal, especially as you prepare in your own special way over the next 40 days. xo

Fab said...

that is pretty cool that it's 40 days til you give birth and i like what you're doing. i've decided to be more grateful...well, the priest kind of let me off the hook for giving up something i love when he said it's even better if you can do something to better yourself or the world.