Thursday, February 28, 2013

7

My great friend Melanie recommended the book "7" to me. Oh boy, was it inspiring. Jen Hatmaker's previous book, "Interrupted", was also really interesting and challenging. A couple of friends have either read or in the process of reading "7" as well. If you're looking for a super friendly book (no guilt, no false theology of you-have-to-suffer-to-follow-God's-will-for-your-life. I'm looking straight at you, book) and a challenge, get this book.

God has been working in me for a couple of years now. I feel I need to do more. Or rather I need to give up more, donate more, be more compassionate. "7" was the perfect book for me. Have I done anything since? Um. Nope! But I'm praying and really really wanting to change and be closer to what God and Jesus want from humanity: that we take the burden of those who have less -less money, less justice, less opportunities-, make them our own, and reduce impunity to zero.

I'm working on it. I'm inspired by people like Jen Hatmaker. I'm inspired by my friends who are so godly and humble (I love my friends!). In this season of Lent, I need to be challenged to do more. And I need to be held accountable -so I'm relying on you to call my BS and remind me that buying a Venti latte a day is not quite the way to go!!

Anyway... Read "7!"

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Oooh, I just looked this up on Amazon and it looks like a great book! I have never read any of her work, but they all look interesting!

Thanks for the recommendation! I can tell by the clutter in my closets that I've allowed too much excess to be present in our lives and I haven't been mindful enough of sharing with others! And I feel like I'm surrounded by people (well, not close family or friends, but you know), that are addicted to it! So I'm looking forward to reading this!