Sunday, October 10, 2010

Ubuntu Turned Inward

When this blog started a few years ago, I wanted to write about humanitarian issues and how we have to get off our butts and do something to equalize revenue and power in the world. With time, my posts have moved away from this goal and have been more and more about me. With this pregnancy, I feel that this trend is not going to get much better.

I find myself pretty torn these days. I am still interested in what is happening in the world, of course, and really want to be part of the solution. Right now however, my whole focus is on the little one growing inside my belly and I find it very difficult to be energized about anything else. I read books about motherhood in the US (those are depressing), read pregnancy magazines, and don't relate to anything else. Part of it is because it is difficult for me to imagine my life in the next few years apart from motherhood (job, studies, life in general), and part of it is simply because of what is happening to my body. I hope to be bored with pregnancy-related topics soon and regain interest in the world!

As of now, the Ubuntu philosophy ("I am because you are") rings true of this inward phase: all that I do is for another person whom I must nurture. It's a new experience for sure, one that i am enjoying immensely, but also one that makes me self-centered and a little boring. Please give me some grace in the next few months as this blog will probably be about the baby and me. Soon enough, I'll talk about other subjects.

On a somewhat related note, I noticed in the past that a lot of very pregnant women always touch and rub their tummies. I thought that was weird, but now I do it all the time -and I'm not even showing yet!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such an amazing time for you. The obsession is a wonderful and healthy one! This child is so blessed to have you as her/his mother who is thinking about her/him all of the time. Additionally, you may feel that you have lost interest in the outside world, but you'll see that having a child actually makes you even MORE interested in the outside world. Who else is going to advocate for this baby on so many "worldly" topics like child care, equality, poverty, etc?! Don't worry, it'll come back, but just enjoy this "self centered/baby centered" time. Bask in it! Document it! Love it!
xoxo
m

Jen said...

Yes, this is a very special time to focus on you and the life growing inside of you. Navel gazing takes on a whole new meaning! And it's not boring by any means. :)