Thursday, April 29, 2010

Mid-Year Resolution


Yesterday I spent some time at the Seattle’s Japanese Garden. This place is a haven of peace and quiet in the middle of the city. It is a place conducive to reflection.


So I reflected.


It’s time I put my money and energy into what is the most important to me at this time. If you looked at my budget, you’d think my focus is on eating out. You’d be right. I love eating out. But it’s not healthy and it’s expensive. It is clear to me –and was really clear yesterday as I sat down in the garden- that I need to be healthier, both physically and emotionally. That means I have to calm down instead of always thinking and fretting about the future –where to live next, what job to apply to next, what school to go to next. That also means I need to get out more, work out again, and above all stop harming my body with gross food and alcohol. Now, that doesn’t mean that I’m going to become a vegan or that I won’t drink wine anymore. It just means I need to do things moderately.


I also need to be a happier person. I need to stop my lazy routine and really start doing things that are good for my soul. That means I’m going to keep on going to church, go to museums, go on hikes, get outside, and do something creative.


I need to broaden my horizon a bit, add colors to my life, and be good to my body.


It’s like New Year resolutions, except I need to really keep these ones if I want to be a healthy and happy person.


I will go back to the Japanese Garden often, to remember to take time to breathe and enjoy the sunshine.


2 comments:

Heather said...

Wow, what a gorgeous place! You're so lucky to have such a great place to unwind and relax. I need to live healthier and treat my body better too!

Jen said...

Oh wow, I didn't see these pics (or this post) until now. It just makes me feel peaceful looking at them. I'm glad that you had the time to think through what you want your life to be about! Looking forward to our museum trips!